Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Grocery List (of sorts)

Being unemployed has its perks!

I am free to hang out whenever you want...But I don't have extra cash to spend on meals out, trips to the movies, or shopping.

I have all the time in the world to cook exotic dishes...But I don't have money for fancy food.

I mean, I have some money, but as the months become more months, I'm trying to hold on to every last penny.  Since I still live at home, this is a somewhat achievable - if not soul-crushingly depressing - possibility.

In my attempt, I haven't bought groceries for awhile.  I spent six dollars at Walmart after a job interview on Tuesday as a sort of "Congratulations!  You did it without throwing up!" treat, but I haven't done a full-blown produce trip in awhile.  I miss it!  A lot!  It's kind of driving me crazy that my staples are not being replenished like I'm used to.

I thought I would just list all the foods I miss...just to make myself feel worse!

1.  Sweet Potatoes.  When the going was good, I'd eat a half a cup or so with my oatmeal every morning.  Not mixed in, just kind of plopped on top.  Eat a little oatmeal.  Eat a little sweet potato.  Sometimes both in one spoonful!  It was also my go-to dessert.  All mashed up, cold from the fridge, with some whipped cream on top.  YUM!  Right before I ran out, I discovered the joy of sweet potato and peanut butter.  Alas, the days of wine and roses have come to a bitter end.

2.  Greek Yogurt.  My 3 o'clock snack.  Chobani.  Fage.  Oikos.  Mixed with a banana.  A little sprinkling of Kashi Heart to Heart and whipped cream on top.  Delicious.  My heart is breaking a little over here.

3.  Hummus.  Sabra Supremely Spicy!  Why?!  Why is this recession lasting so long?!

4.  Broccoli.  Steamed.  Served cold.  So good.  Same goes for baby carrots.  Baby spinach.  Apples.  Red Seedless Grapes.  Any and all fruits and vegetables.

5.  Medjool Dates.  For my morning oats.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

6.  Lunch meat.  Do you know how long it's been since I've had Hormel Nitrate-free sliced turkey or chicken?!  On one hand it's good.  I've been eating more legumes for protein.  On the other, it's devastatingly sad.

7.  Edamame.  We were never soul mates...but you helped out in a pinch.  Miss ya!

8.  Honey.  So I have a tub from the health food store in the cupboard.  But you're half gone.  And it's only been a week.  I won't make it without you!

9.  Lavash.  I've got one of you suckers left, but once you're gone...I haven't really thought of what the bereavement process is gonna look like, but it's gonna be lengthy.

10.  Thai food.  This was my one eating out pleasure.  I haven't been in months.  There is talk of going for my mom's birthday.  In exactly 19 days.  I'm seriously white knuckling this one.

Long story short.  If you can afford to buy groceries (and technically I can, it's that I won't, or at least I'm trying not to) or if someone else (coughaparentcough) buys your groceries, be extremely thankful.  I'm sure you already are.  But the point is, it's a Good Thing!

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful reminder of what we have to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete